One of the true highlights of “Art Nouveau to Present“, the recently opened final section of the Grassi Museum for Applied Arts Leipzig permanent exhibition is without question the recreation of the Vereinigten Lausitzer Glaswerke Weißwasser (VLG) stand from the 1936 Grassimesse.
Designed by Lilly Reich the Vereinigten Lausitzer Glaswerke stand presented new pieces by Charles Crodel and Wilhelm Wagenfeld – and has pretty much been in the Grassi Museum cellar since.
Sadly, because the items not only remain aesthetic wonders in their own right, but also represent an important stage in the story of European decorative glassware. Indeed, several pieces from Wilhelm Wagenfeld’s 1935 “Bremen Service”, including the champagne flute and white wine glass – both wonderfully light, crisp pieces, far removed from the floral Bacchus styles beloved by previous generations – form part of the New York Museum of Modern Art permanent collection.
In addition to the wine glasses the Vereinigten Lausitzer Glaswerke stand also features a wonderful selection of vases, bowls plates and one slight historical inaccuracy – Wagenfeld’s delightful 1938 “Kubus-Geschirr” storage system.
The Vereinigten Lausitzer Glaswerke Stand by Lilly Reich featuring the works of Charles Crodel and Wilhelm Wagenfeld can be viewed as part of “Art Nouveau to Present” at the Grassi Museum for Applied Arts Leipzig